A powerful tool against PTSD, Stress and Anxiety
Is Stellate Ganglion Block Right For You?
Take the Stellate Ganglion Block quiz to see if you may need it.
What is the Stellate Ganglion Block?
Imagine a treatment that would allow you to turn off the background noise and allow you to focus on yourself. The Stellate Ganglion Block, or SGB, is a “Re-Boot” or “Reset” for the “fight or flight” response, used to reduce symptoms of anxiety, long-term pain syndromes and stress disorders. The SGB has been strongly beneficial for thousands of our beloved military personnel and veterans dealing with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Post-traumatic stress injury). The SGB was found to have a significant impact on decreasing levels of depression, anxiety and improving the mental health of the majority of recipients. Since its prominent success in the military community, the SGB has been used for mental health issues like anxiety and panic attacks. Additionally, athletes and CEOs have begun to use the SGB to synchronize their brain and body so that they can perform optimally in their work.
Turn off the background apps that are distracting you from optimal performance, and start with a fresh reset. Many people face a daily struggle with depression, stress, and anxiety, which prevents them from being physically and emotionally present in their everyday life.
With the increase in stress over time, cortisol, our stress hormone, is released and can have a damaging effect on quality of life. The stellate ganglion block is one quick intervention aimed at reducing the effects of this stress on our bodies while restoring balance overall.
If you are someone who feels these symptoms, and may struggle with other issues including difficulty sleeping, brain fog, irritability, etc., or you are an individual who is looking to sharpen your mental acuity, calm your nerves and heighten your focus, schedule a consultation with us to determine if the SGB is right for you.
Benefits of the Stellate Ganglion Block (SGB)
✓ Restores emotional and mental clarity
✓ Successful for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Post Traumatic Stress Injury (PTSI)
✓ Improves sleep, reduces insomnia
✓ Quiets background noise and reduces distractions in your brain
✓ Enhance digestion
✓ Enhances sexual function and intimacy
✓ Improves ability to interact socially
✓ Reduces “on edge” feeling or other forms of social anxiety
✓ Reduce panic attacks
✓ Minimize over-reactivity
Stellate Ganglion Block FAQs:
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The sympathetic part of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) normally prepares the body for emergencies (a “fight or flight” response). It controls heart rate, blood pressure, skin temperature, and the eyes’ response to light. It can also control the perception of pain, and the body’s ability to relax, focus, function sexually, and respond to stress. When the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) is overwhelmed – generally from extreme stress – it becomes programmed to an inappropriately high set point. This causes the body to remain in a state of extreme, survival-level response and intensifies an individual’s reaction to life’s everyday events. This is a STRESS INJURY, in which the brain is inappropriately stuck in a “fight or flight” response. This high set point cannot be corrected without resetting or re-booting that part of the nervous system, much like re-booting a computer that is stuck on an inappropriate or dysfunctional program. Many people have knowingly or unknowingly experienced a SNS STRESS INJURY and as such, cannot function physically, think clearly, relax, and enjoy being alive. The SGB works to “reset” the nervous system and restore it to its normal levels.
WHAT SHOULD I DO BEFORE THE SGB PROCEDURE?
- Schedule a free 15-minute phone consultation with a licensed medical provider to learn about the benefits and potential side-effects of the SGB.
- Book an appointment for the procedure.
- Complete a PCL questionnaire.
- Inform us of your medications and allergies.
- Continue to take regular medications.
- Stop taking NSAIDs (ibuprofen, etc.), blood thinners, and fish oil products three days before your procedure.
- Refrain from using stimulants (nicotine, caffeine) for 24 hours prior and 12 hours post procedure.
- Hydrate well with non-caffeinated beverages and eat a nourishing meal prior to your procedure.
- We recommend you arrange to have someone drive you home after the procedure.
- We ask that you “lay low” and rest for the remainder of the day (e.g. arrange for child care, if appropriate).
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE SGB PROCEDURE?
- The client will lie face up on the exam table, awake and alert, for the duration of the procedure.
- The client may receive an IV catheter in their arm or hand; pre-treatment medications for anxiety or nausea may be given, if needed.
- The skin will be disinfected and an ultrasound examination will be performed on the right or left side of the neck to locate the patient’s Stellate Ganglion.
- Under ultrasound guidance, the client will receive an injection of 8 mL of a long-acting anesthetic around the Stellate Ganglion.
- The injection takes 10 minutes, but the client will be monitored for up to an hour after the procedure. After the procedure, the client should ride home with a driver, if at all possible, or be willing to remain in the clinic until a provider permits them to leave.
HOW EFFECTIVE IS THE SGB PROCEDURE?
The SGB procedure has proven to be extremely effective, particularly among individuals who score higher than 30 on the PCL test. Most clients appear to have long-lasting results with just one treatment, while others may require additional re-boots. We have found that two SGB procedures within a few days of each other can increase the effectiveness and longevity of the procedure. If the client actively remains in high stress situations, they may be more likely to require repeat SGBs.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
You should expect to have a droopy, bloodshot eye on the side that was treated – both are signs that the procedure was done correctly. You may also experience some, all, or none of the following transient after-effects: facial flushing, a sore or scratchy throat, a hoarse voice, a headache, sinus congestion, nausea, difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing deeply, and some numbness on the side of treatment. While these symptoms resolve as the anesthesia wears off (between two to six hours after injection), it is important to be prepared ahead of time so that if they occur, you are expecting them and can relax as they occur.
WILL A STELLATE GANGLION BLOCK CHANGE MY PERSONALITY?
No, your basic personality will not change. More than likely, you will sleep better, enjoy life more, and breathe easier. There is a good chance you will be calmer, more focused, less reactive, less anxious, and more enjoyable to be around.
WHAT ARE THE 3 MOST COMMON BENEFITS WE HEAR PATIENTS SHARE ABOUT THE SGB?
- “Space between reaction and response” The most frequent thing patients report back to us after having an SGB is that they feel like they have more control over how they choose to respond to a stressor. This manifests in their lives in ways such as yelling at their kids less, not getting road rage when someone cuts them off in traffic, or being less agitated waiting in line at the grocery store.
- “Improved sleep” Most patients report getting their best sleep in years the night after their SGB – especially if falling asleep or staying asleep was something they were struggling with prior to the treatment. Patients have also told us that in the following days and weeks after their SGB, they noticed that their sleep gradually improved.
- “Inner peace” Patients have described their heightened sense of calm as everything from having the noise in their mind quieted to feeling less anxious to being able to be more present in their daily activities.
Have a Question?
We would love to hear from you! If you have any questions about this treatment, feel free to fill out the form below, or call us at, (858)-609-0866 during our business hours to speak directly to a representative.